- Rohde & Schwarz is expanding its range of thermal power probes with the launch of the R&S NRP90T and R&S NRP90TN models, which, according to the German manufacturer, are the first test and measurement instruments on the market with the new 1.35 mm coaxial connector.
- The German manufacturer was part of the group of experts in microwave signal transmission that launched a collaborative project in 2017 to develop and implement a new coaxial connector optimized for operation at E-band frequencies.
- This connector, which covers a frequency band up to 90 GHz, will be integrated into the next versions of the corresponding IEEE and IEC standards.
Emerging applications in particular for automotive radar from 76 to 81 GHz, plus the WiGig extension IEEE 802.11ay operating up to 71 GHz, highlighted the need for a novel, robust coaxial cable connector suitable for industrial applications at frequencies up to 90 GHz. The group consists of Germany’s national metrology institute, the Physikalisch-Technische-Bundesanstalt (PTB), Rohde & Schwarz GmbH & Co. KG, Rosenberger Hochfrequenztechnik GmbH & Co. KG and SPINNER GmbH.
The result is the 1.35 mm E connector, with a precise metric fine thread, a reliable pin-gap, and an integrated groove for optional push-pull locking. The design was accepted in 2019 for the next edition of the IEEE 287-2007 for precision coaxial connectors, and also by the IEC, which will publish it as the IEC 61169-65.
Now, Rohde & Schwarz has implemented the E connector for the first time in a test and measurement instrument. The R&S NRP90T and R&S NRP90TN for frequencies up to 90 GHz are the latest additions to the thermal power sensor family. The R&S NRPxxT power sensors operate locally, connected to a PC, selected Rohde & Schwarz instruments, or an R&S NRX base unit. The R&S NRPxxTN sensors can also be operated remotely via a LAN.
The E connector closes the gap between the well-established 1.85 mm connector (the V-band connector) and the 1.00 mm connector (the W-band connector). The V-band connector, introduced more than 30 years ago, is suitably robust for industrial applications, but is restricted to a maximum frequency of 70 GHz. The W-band connector, on the other hand, supports a maximum frequency of 110 GHz, but requires a fine-mechanical accuracy during assembly, and frequently loosens in use.
# Overview of R&S NRP90T and NRP90TN probe specifications
- Frequency range : DC to 90 GHz
- Level range : -35 dBm to +20 dBm
- Connector type : 1.35 mm (m)
- Control and monitoring via USB (and LAN with the R&S NRP90TN)