- The Rohde & Schwarz SMA100B analog RF and microwave signal generator now delivers signals in the microwave range.
- Operating up to 67 GHz, it can even generate signals up to 72 GHz in overrange operation.
With the new frequency options, the R&S SMA100B generator now covers frequency ranges up to 31.8 GHz, 40 GHz, 50 GHz and 67 GHz. With a graphical user interface with touch screen, it targets a variety of applications for testing and characterizing microwave components, devices and systems in the aerospace and defence, wireless communications and semiconductor industries.
Thanks to an option giving it a very low phase noise, this generator can emit RF signals with a single sideband phase noise of -120 dBc/Hz (40 GHz, 20 kHz offset; measured). It can operate as a local oscillator (LO) for radar system integration applications or in radar test systems. It has a wideband noise of -150 dBc/Hz (e. g. at 30 GHz, 40 MHz offset; measured).
At microwave frequencies, the attenuation of cables and test interfaces is usually problematic. The R&S SMA100B has different output power stages to compensate for these losses.
It is possible to change the power level of the generators from 31.8 GHz, 40 GHz, 50 GHz and 67 GHz via a code without having to return the instrument to the manufacturer. According to Rohde & Schwarz, with this power increase option, the instruments provide extremely low harmonic output power, eliminating the need for external amplifiers and filters and simplifying settings at the same time. A 40 GHz generator can provide power up to 27 dBm at 25 GHz, while a 67 GHz device provides up to 23 dBm at 40 GHz and up to 17 dBm at 67 GHz.
The SMA100B provides more than 70 dB of uninterrupted RF level sweep without glitches or signal blanks during the level sweep. . When equipped with the Scan AM software option, it can simulate amplitude variation coming from scanning radar antennas in order to perform receiver tests with modulation depths of more than 70 dB.
The SMA100B is part of the R&S LegacyPro program that facilitates the replacement of obsolete signal generators from Rohde & Schwarz and other manufacturers in automated test environments without having to modify the test software.
# Overview of the R&S SMA100B generator specifications :
- Frequency range from 8 kHz to 3 GHz, 6 GHz, 12.75 GHz, 20 GHz, 31.8 GHz, 40 GHz, 50 GHz or 67 GHz (exceeding up to 72 GHz)
- SSB phase noise from -152 dBc (typ.) at 1 GHz and -132 dBc (typ.) at 10 GHz, with a 20 kHz offset
- Wideband noise from -162 dBc (measured) at 10 GHz and an offset of 30 MHz
- Output power: up to 38 dBm with the 6 GHz model, up to 32 dBm in the microwave frequency range with the 20 GHz model