- Teledyne LeCroy has made high-resolution oscilloscopes its trademark. The American manufacturer offers several families of oscilloscopes sampling signals with 12-bit resolution.
- With the launch of its new WaveMaster 8000HD platform, the resolution of its ultra-high bandwidth oscilloscopes is now even higher.
- The new four-channel WaveMaster 8000HD oscilloscopes cover a bandwidth ranging from 20 to 33 GHz, depending on the model. They digitize 12-bit signals at sampling rates of up to 160 GS/s.
- The bandwidth of WaveMaster 8500HD, 8590HD and 8650HD models rises from 33 GHz to 50 GHz, 59 GHz and 65 GHz respectively, when only two channels are used. Sampling rates then reach 320 GS/s at 12-bit resolution.
- WaveMaster 8000HD series oscilloscopes come as standard with a 200 Mpts acquisition memory, which can be upgraded to 8 Gpts as an option.
- These high-performance oscilloscopes offer the same validation and debugging capabilities of the previous range, complemented by new SDA Expert software options for next-generation serial bus data analysis.
More Bandwidth, Resolution and Acquisition Memory
Serial data technologies are increasing in speed, driving the need for higher bandwidth capability. As an example, PCI Express® 6.0 delivers 64 gigatransfers per second (GT/s) data rates (PCIe 5.0 delivered 32 GT/s), while USB4® Specification v2.0 delivers 80 gigabits per second (Gbps) transfers (USB4 V1 delivered 40Gbps). In addition, these technologies are using multi-level pulse amplitude modulation (PAM) signals, which increases the need for higher-resolution captures.
WaveMaster 8000HD more than doubles the available bandwidth and sample rate from the previous model WaveMaster. With an industry-leading 12-bit resolution, the WaveMaster 8000HD offers exceptional signal characterization of the multi-level PAM3 and PAM4 signals used in USB4 Specification v2.0 and PCIe 6.0, respectively. The 8 gigapoints (Gpts) of acquisition memory further enhances the capabilities of CrossSync PHY™, the first and only available solution to link oscilloscopes to protocol analyzers, offering an integrated trigger, capture and view of physical and protocol logic layers of high-speed serial data signals.
Serial Data Expertise for Characterization and Compliance
The new WaveMaster 8000HD oscilloscopes also provide serial data expertise for next-generation serial data technology characterization and compliance verification. The new SDA Expert software option provides simplified expertise with tailored technology analysis for PCIe, USB, DisplayPort and more, as well as powerful PAM and nonreturn-to-zero (NRZ) eye, jitter and link analysis tools. QualiPHY® test packages provide simple compliance test automation for complex high-speed serial data interfaces. This combination of serial data capabilities is especially useful for next-generation PCIe 6.0, USB4, USB4 Specification v2.0, and other USB Type-C technologies.
Capabilities to Support Embedded System Debugging
The WaveMaster 8000HD offers several capabilities to help meet the need for complex link and high-speed embedded system debugging. These include the ability to:
- Merge the functions of the WaveMaster 8000HD oscilloscope with a Teledyne LeCroy PCIe or USB protocol analyzer using CrossSync™ PHY cross-layer analysis to provide insights into high-speed link behaviors.
- Capture low-speed serial data sideband, training and negotiation links, power rails, and other associated signals using nearly every 50 Ω or 1 MΩ coupled probe (including passive probes and current probes) offered by Teledyne LeCroy.
- Utilize any of more than 20 low-speed serial triggers and decoders – making it easier to perform low-speed and high-speed debug using up to 8 Gpts of acquisition memory.