- Exfo has launched the PPM-350D wattmeter for the Passive Optical Network (PON) test.
- According to the Canadian manufacturer, this compact instrument is the first wattmeter to incorporate PON-awareMC technology.
- This portable wattmeter detects PON technology and automatically adapts test parameters to passive optical networks.
While optical networks integrated in some buildings (residences, schools, shops, businesses, etc.) require high data rates, others have lower requirements. In order to support the expected data rates, several PON technologies are being exploited, by superimposing several wavelengths on the existing fibre optic network.
« The ability to superimpose additional wavelengths on existing fibre provides network operators with uninterrupted deployment, said Julie Kunstler, senior analyst, Next Generation Infrastructure Services at Ovum. Thanks to Exfo’s PON wattmeter, technicians can perform measurements and correct connection problems without interrupting service during activation of networks combining PON technologies without even having to worry about the operator’s deployment program. »
« We designed our PON wattmeter to be able to solve problems that older wattmeters do not detect and avoid the complexity of adjusting test parameters for the technology in place, thus avoiding the risk of meaningless test results and false positives,”said Stéphane Chabot, Exfo’s Vice President, Testing and Measurement.
The PPM-350D PON PON wattmeter is compatible with GPON, EPON, XG-PON, XGS-PON, NG-PON2, and 10G-EPON networks.
Other PPM-350D wattmeter specifications:
- Memory capacity for recording : 1000 test results
- Bluetooth and USB connectivity
- Software application to store results, create test reports, share results and much more
- Rechargeable battery with up to 8 hours of continuous use.
- Enclosure IP54
- Dimensions: 154,14x88x41,15 mm
- Weight : 420 g